Dear MSA Members,
The MSA Board is pleased to notify all the MSA Members that a new round of MSA Board elections will be held from Monday, November 1 to Monday, November 15.
The timeline and the guidelines for this current electoral round are highlighted in the present correspondence.
- Available MSA Board seats
The current MSA Board includes 10 Board Members plus the MSA Secretary. Based on the status of current directors below, a total of 4 vacant positions will be advertised. The status of the MSA Board is presented below.
- Status of MSA Directors
Up for Re-election
- Hokyong Shon (Elected in July 2018, stepping down)
- David Wang
- Filicia Wicaksana
- Faisal Hai
Elected in 2020
- Geoffrey Johnston-Hall
- Xiwang Zhang
- Zongli Xie
- Leonard Tijing
- Stefan Smith
- Andrea Merenda
In reference to the current MSA Board, in accordance with the MSA Constitution, current Directors are automatically nominated for re-election unless written notice is given to the contrary. Prof. Hokyong Shon, current MSA President, has expressed his intention to step down from the MSA Board and will not participate in the elections.
The MSA Board would like to thank Prof. Hokyong Shon for his remarkable contribution and support to the MSA throughout his tenure. Prof. Shon’s leadership and vision have been instrumental to design and carry out the strategic actions and achieve the ambitious milestones set over the past 3 years. The MSA Board looks forward to engaging with Prof. Shon in the future and benefiting from his mentorship.
If a Director does not wish to be automatically nominated for re-election, an official notice of intent to retire shall be returned to Dr. Federico Volpin ([email protected]) or to Dr. Andrea Merenda ([email protected]) by the nomination closing date.
- Eligibility Criteria
- All MSA Members holding a valid MSA membership expiring not before Monday, October 11 2021 can be indicated and nominated as Candidates.
- Individual, Student and Honorary memberships are automatically granted eligibility rights.
- Eligible Candidates are nominated through a nomination form that shall be signed by two MSA members. The nominations shall be returned to Dr. Federico Volpin ([email protected]). Dr. Volpin may prompt the Nominees to provide additional information, including a short biography to be added to the official ballot form.
- In the case of MSA Corporate Members, only one Member per Corporate membership can be indicated as Eligible Candidate. The nomination form referring to an MSA Corporate Member shall be signed off by two MSA Members that do not share the same MSA Corporate membership as the Nominee.
Director Election timeline
|MSA Call for Elections||Monday, 06/09/2021|
|Nomination sheet distributed among MSA Members||Monday, 13/09/2021|
|MSA call for nominations open||Monday, 13/09/2021|
|Call for nominations close||Monday, 11/10/2021, COB|
|Notification of acceptance||Wednesday, 13/10/2021|
|List of Candidates published||Friday, 15/10/2021|
|Elections start||Monday, 1/11/2021|
|Elections close||Monday, 15/11/2021|
|Elections outcomes||Friday, 19/11/2021|
|MSA Annual General Meeting (AGM)||Thursday, 25/11/2021|
If the number of nominations received, including those from Directors for re-election; exceeds the number of vacant positions; elections will be held via an online vote system. If required, details of the voting system will be distributed after nominations close.
If you have any enquiries regarding the MSA elections, including nominations of Members, please do not hesitate to contact me.
All the best,
Secretary of Membrane Society of Australasia